Medical Transcription Training Online: Course and Class Overviews
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Medical transcription courses build a student’s medical vocabulary by introducing studies in anatomy, procedures, diseases and medications. Students participate in documentation practice classes and may be required to participate in online medical transcription internships. While hard-copy books may be required for some classes, many distance learning institutions offer downloadable study guides and visual/audio aids, which replace textbooks. In addition to core medical classes, students enrolled in online medical transcription training programs usually take classes to learn grammar, typing and computers. Medical transcription documentation styles taught in these courses conform to industry standards.
Online Medical Transcription Courses
The descriptions below highlight the typical curriculum of the most common online course offerings in medical transcription.
- Medical Terminology: Students learn correct spellings and abbreviations of general medical terms, surgical terms and diseases. Focus is placed on deconstructing words into prefixes, suffixes and roots.
- Anatomy and Physiology: Students learn about the human body. Focus is placed on body parts and bodily functions.
- Pathology: Students taking this course build their disease and disorder vocabulary and learn general pathology theories. This includes testing procedures, medications and treatments.
- Pharmacology: This course introduces medication terminology. In addition, individuals taking this course learn about treatments, drug reactions, pharmacology legalities, medication handling and doctors’ orders.
- Medical Theories and Techniques: Students learn more about diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical procedure terms and practices. Similar courses may be available focusing on lab procedures, including patient preparation and blood drawing techniques.
- Basic Transcription: Course requirements generally include use of a foot pedal and head phones. Students practice accurately transcribing audio files into typed format. An professional telecommuting internship may be required.
- Medical Grammar and Style: These writing classes are specifically geared toward medical transcriptionists. Students learn to use Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity and American Medical Association stylistic standards.
- Keyboarding: Classes range from beginning to advanced and may require students to maintain a minimum words per minute standard relative to the course level. Basic formatting practices are introduced and developed.
- Computer Information Systems: Students taking this course learn basics of Microsoft Office software, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access. Other topics include e-mail and Internet usage and file organization.
- Speech Recognition Editing: This class prepares students to use speech recognition software to transcribe dictation. Students learn how to use the software including learning keyboard shortcuts. Advanced courses may include taking dictation with background noise.
Next: View Schools
- EdD in Organizational Leadership – Health Care Administration
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration – Health Care Management
- MS in Health Care Informatics
- MS in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
- BS in Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- View more
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership – Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership – Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration – Healthcare Management
- Master of Public Administration – Healthcare Policy and Ethics
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management