Environmental Design: Interior Design Specialization
Focusing on the design of expressive and humane interior and architectural space, projects are developed in an interior architectural, environmental and societal context.
Student work by Chieng Luphuyong.
Environmental Design: Interior Design Specialization
The Interior Design Specialization at OCAD University is part of the Environmental Design program. Students interested in all types of spatial design progress together throughout the program. There are 4 identified courses and a specific Interior Design thesis course that the students in the Interior Design Specialization are required to take, aside from the courses all Environmental Design students study.The Environmental Design: Interior Design Specialization is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
Environmental Design/Interior Design Specialization utilizes Respectful Design as a philosophical base by aiming to create environments and experiences that take into account both built and organic structures.
Students will follow a curriculum that recognizes and values inclusivity and empowers the rich diversity of Canada’s different demographics. This curriculum recognizes the consequence of our architectural and cultural histories.
In this program, students will cultivate innovative and conceptual leadership abilities within the fields of Interior Design and Environmental Design based upon cultural and contextual knowledge, theory, philosophy and conceptual knowledge, creative process, communication skills and professional practice.
(As per the Consortium for Student Retention Data Exchange [CSRDE] definition; percentage of first-time, first-year, full-time students returning from fall count to fall count.)
Example interpretation: 95% of those students who were registered as a first-time, first-year, full-time Environmental Design student as at the November count date in 2012 were registered as students at OCAD University as at the November count date in 2013.
(As per Consortium for Student Retention Data Exchange [CSRDE] definition; percentage of first-time, first-year, full-time students as of the fall count date who graduated within six years.)
Example interpretation: 68% of those students who were registered as a first-time, first-year, full-time environmental design student as at the November count date in 2008 graduated within six years.
Acceptance into graduate programs
Many of our students successfully go on to master’s programs. Our students applying to master’s programs have been accepted at a rate of 100%.
Schools and programs our graduates are in or have graduated from are:
- Aalto University, Finland, MArch
- Academy of Fine Arts, Gdansk, Poland, Master of Fine Art
- Columbia University, New York, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, MArch
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, MArch
- Illinois Institute of Technology, IIT, Chicago, MArch
- Lund University, Sweden, Faculty of Engineering, Masters in Urban Design, Sustainable Urban Design
- McGill University, Montreal, MArch
- Nordic Five Tech (Alliance of five Universities in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden), dual Master’s in Sustainable Urban Transitions
- Parsons, New York, MArch
- Pratt Institute, New York, MArch
- Ryerson University, Toronto, Diploma in Restoration Architecture
- UIC Universitat Internacional de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, Sustainable Emergency Architecture, MArch
- University of Birmingham, England, MSc Urban and Regional Planning
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, MArch
- University of Calgary, MArch
- University of Manitoba, MArch
- University of Michigan, MArch
- University of Toronto, MArch, Master’s of Landscape Architecture
Awards and recognition
- Environmental Design Students (Sanjana Chokshi, Supreetha Guntur, Nancy Le, Olayide Madamidola, Aruvi Rajasingham, Alejandro Rebollar Heres, Rachel Sau and Jason Wong) along with Assistant Professor Mark Tholen win the Materialica Award in Munich, Germany for their Beaches Winter Stations installation (Winter 2016) The Steam Canoe. The Steam Canoe was designed for the Design Competition at Woodbine Beach in Toronto in March 2016 and then was re-erected at the OMI Sculpture Park in Ghent, New York in October 2016.
- Assistant Professor Ala Roushan was awarded Seed Grant for Research on Speculative Design Research.
- Glenn MacArthur, assistant professor, recently published the third edition of Colour Two-Dimensional Design, an in-depth colour textbook used at OCAD U in the first-year curriculum.
According to the 2015 Strategic National Arts Alumni Project (SNAAP) survey results, those who indicated graduating from OCAD U in the last five years (2011 to 2015) with a degree in Environmental Design had a 81% employment rate, and 89% of those who were employed indicated their training at OCAD U was relevant to their current employment.
Note: SNAAP is an annual online survey administered to art and design alumni from participating institutions. The survey asks alumni about their experiences at the institution and post-graduation, with a focus on employment outcomes. Over 980 OCAD U alumni participated in 2015.
Places of employment
Our students work in varied spatial design fields and firms; some examples include: CADAXX Design; AECOM; North Design Office; Two Row Architects; Giannone Petricone Associate Architects; Wane Malcomb; Bruce Mau Design; Holt Renfrew (store designer); Starbucks (store design program); Yabu Pushelberg; Cecconi Simone; II BY IV Design; Gluck + (New York); Daniels Corp.; Diamond Schmitt Architects; Harir Pontarini Architects; B+H Architects; Zeidler Partnership Architects; Adamson Architects; Quadrangle Architects; NORR Limited; TIFF (design intern); Scotiabank Canada; Apple; Samsung Electronics (store / product design).
Many students have entered into master’s programs for architecture, utilizing their Environmental Design degrees for their first architectural degrees. Others have gone on to study landscape architecture, theatre design and furniture design.
Program Course Offerings
For a complete list of courses for this program, please see the applicable program guides:
View Program Guides
Interested in Studying at OCAD U?
OCAD U Admissions Apply now Sign up for more info Come for a tour