#Interior Design – Sacramento State Catalog
College of Arts and Letters
The Interior Design Program at California State University, Sacramento has a regional reputation as a leading design school, and is (see Special Features) recognized as a nationally accredited program. The four year program leads to a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interior Design and offers two concentrations: Interior Architecture and Interior Design Marketing.
The Interior Design Program provides students with the technical, creative, and critical thinking skills needed to enter the Interior Design profession. The breadth of courses in the program reflects the importance of both a liberal arts background and professional preparation in the design field. Courses encompass the study of design history and theory, aesthetics, graphics, lighting, space planning, computer-aided design, interior construction, and professional practice. The Interior Design curriculum provides comprehensive coverage in all the major areas of training, including concept development, design, communication, presentation, construction, and professional services. Many of the course assignments are based on actual design projects. Guest lecturers and professional panel critiques and discussions as well as building tours of outstanding projects are all important parts of the curriculum. Community service projects also help to maintain a strong connection to the community and profession.
Three full-time faculty and several practicing professional architects and interior designers teach in the Interior Design Program. Faculty have expertise in architecture, design history, residential and commercial interiors, lighting, space planning, and computer-aided design. Since part-time faculty are drawn from the profession and include licensed architects, and certified interior designers, students receive firsthand exposure to professional practice methods and techniques. The high level of teaching, coupled with a structured internship experience, prepares California State University, Sacramento students for successful careers in the design profession.
Students have an opportunity to travel with faculty to Italy during the summer to study design as a part of the advanced history option. Another outstanding feature of the Interior Design program is the senior internship program with well over 100 businesses and government agencies as active sponsors. Many students gain employment as a direct result of their internship placement.
The Interior Design major at California State University, Sacramento is one of the most highly sought after programs in Northern California and is designated as an impacted program. Students entering the program are initially classified as Pre-Interior Design Majors. After completing the required lower division prerequisites, students may apply for admission to the upper division program by declaring their concentration in either Interior Architecture or Interior Design Marketing. Admission to the Interior Architecture concentration is limited and controlled by an annual portfolio review. Students interested in this concentration must submit a supplementary application including a portfolio of work. Interior Architecture concentration applicants will be ranked based on cumulative GPA and the results of the juried portfolio review held each Spring. Transfer students must speak with an interior design advisor upon acceptance to the California State University, Sacramento to determine placement within the major.
Students that have been accepted to the Interior Design program, within the Department of Design are required to own a laptop computer and the appropriate software for upper division courses. Upon beginning upper division coursework this requirement must be met. Before purchasing please consult your major advisor or the Department office for specific minimum requirements for the laptop computer and software.
- The Interior Design program is accredited by the Council of Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA formerly FIDER) and by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). The four-year major leads to a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interior Design.
- Sacramento State Interior Design students have been award winners in numerous design competitions.
- Students are often involved in community design projects as well as projects on our growing campus.
- The Interior Design program at Sacramento State has an active student club (PRINTS) representing the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and the International Interior Design Association (IIDA). Monthly meetings feature guest speakers from the professional community and include workshops and field trip events.
- A summer travel study program to Italy offers students an opportunity to learn about European design and architecture.
- The internship program places students in professional organizations ranging from architecture and interior design firms to furniture companies, corporations, and government agencies.
- California State University, Sacramento, located in the state capital, is less than 100 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area. This location offers a wealth of professional employment opportunities. Graduates from our program at California State University, Sacramento have secured positions in architectural firms, interior design firms, government agencies, private corporations, furniture manufacturing companies, and design showrooms.