#interior design schools in texas
Build a strong career foundation with our marketable Interior Design degree.
Since 2012, 92 percent of the graduates from Texas Tech University’s interior design program have found jobs in the industry or entered graduate school.
Our accredited Bachelor of Science in Interior Design degree has a national reputation for excellence. You will develop marketable skills, professional connections, and workplace experience that help you stand out in the job market for interior designers.
Texas Tech’s interior design program stands out for its:
- Award-winning faculty. Nationally recognized design educator, Dr. Sharran Parkinson, chairs the Department of Design and Professor Don Collier directs the Interior Design Program. Most of the faculty are interior designers and specialists who combine Ph.D.s with years of professional experience in interior or business design.
- Emphasis on architecture. You will take a cluster of architecture-related courses, learning about construction, architectural history, building codes, and AutoCAD. With just a couple of additional courses, you can earn a minor in architecture—a significant advantage that employers value.
- First-rate internships. Our interior design program provides excellent internship opportunities with top-notch firms throughout the country. Between your junior and senior years, you will get 150 hours of summer internship experience working in the interior design industry.
- Project-based learning. You will be able to work on real-world interior design projects for local community partners such as assisted care and long-term living facilities, Habitat for Humanity, etc.
- Professional connections. The interior design department’s advisory board of alumni and practicing interior designers provides a built-in network to support your education and your job search. You can also connect with professionals at Texas Tech’s annual Design Expo.
- Travel opportunities. You can study abroad at the Rome Center in Italy, and visit leading interior design firms in Dallas, New York, Chicago, and elsewhere.
The Interior Design bachelor’s degree program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.
Our Interior Design Degree Stands Out for its Commitment to Professional Practice
In Texas Tech’s interior design program, you will not just learn from textbooks. You will get a hands-on education with practical and advanced trainingin interior design, space planning, and professional practices.
You will enjoy a wide range of learning experiences, including:
- Studio work
- Team projects and presentations
- Professional workshops
- Field trips
- Real-world projects
You will use the most up-to-date interior design software and technology, while learning to design safe, healthy, environmentally sustainable spaces that serve diverse populations.
We offer a broad range of interior design courses that emphasize professional practice. You will take classes on:
- Codes and standards
- Interior design
- Business design
Interior Design Career Opportunities
Over the last three years, more than 95 percent of Texas Tech’s interior design degree graduates have found jobs in the industry or entered a master’s program.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that interior design jobs will grow by 13 percent by 2022, with significant opportunities in:
- Hospitals and assisted care and long-term living facilities
- Environmental sustainability
- Disabled access
- Historic preservation
- Medical offices
- Hotels and restaurants
- Parks and indoor-outdoor spaces
Interior Design Degree Accreditation
The Interior Design bachelor’s degree program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
This mark of quality is awarded to interior design degree programs that meet the highest academic and professional standards. CIDA-accredited programs prepare students to be responsible, well-informed, skilled interior design professionals.
For more information about the Interior Design Bachelor’s Degree
Request Information Online
Contact the Office of Recruitment and Visitor’s Center