institute of interior design
Online Start Dates: January 2017, April 2017, July 2017, October 2017
On-Campus Start Dates: April 2017, October 2017
Program Length: 3 years (4 year degree equivalent)
The Bachelor of Interior Design is a leading program with in-class and online delivery. A practitioner oriented and skills-based approach will prepare you for a rewarding career as an interior designer in a growing and competitive marketplace.
I love interior design. I m doing a four year degree in three years and I m getting all of the support I need. Tara Bennett, RCCIT Bachelor of Interior Design student
Interior design has always been my passion. Now I m finishing my degree online, working part-time and I still have time to be a mom. Mirielle Drover, RCCIT Bachelor of Interior Design online student
If you are creative with a passion for aesthetics and function, the Bachelor of Interior Design will give you the foundation and skills to create beautiful, practical, healthy and safe environments for interior spaces. You will apply critical, analytical, and technical skills in high level design processes. You will gain expertise in the latest technical and digital media. You will develop creative and collaborative problem solving skills, visual literacy, cultural and ecological awareness. And you will grow a real understanding of the design industry s business side and how to market yourself as a professional.
The mission of the Bachelor of Interior Design program is to cultivate student knowledge, foster exploratory and critical skills through educational experiences that are relevant to effectively meet the demands of their future professional career and the betterment of society.
The Bachelor of Interior Design at RCCIT is recognized by the:
In-class and Online Delivery
Offered both in-class and online, the Bachelor of Interior Design is designed to accommodate your busy schedule and active lifestyle. You can complete your degree in-class, online, or choose a combination of in-class and online courses.
In-class and online courses are limited to 20 students per class, for personal one-on-one instruction.
Accelerated Program and Credit Transfers
The Bachelor of Interior Design is equivalent to a four year degree. Through consecutive, full year study, you can complete your degree in only three years. If you enter the program with previous post-secondary education, you may be able to transfer credits to complete your Bachelor of Interior Design in less than three years.
In your final year, you will work in a professional design environment, one full day per week over the course of 25 weeks. Mentored by practicing experts, you will have the opportunity to apply your new knowledge and skills. If you take the online program and live outside of Toronto, you can complete your internship in your home community. If you already work in a professional design environment, you can complete your internship at your own workplace.
The successful completion of this program will enable the graduate to:
- Create designs for a variety of market sectors that effectively interpret the relationship of the human response to the built environment.
- Apply the principles and psychology of design theory, and colour methodology.
- Articulate the challenges of the changing world of design, and its connection to culture, history and empathy for an interior environment.
- Apply a systematic design process to creatively solve challenging design problems.
- Employ effective and professional communication skills and techniques to interact and negotiate in collaborative environments, including client presentations.
- Demonstrate entry to practice knowledge of building systems, material selection and interior detailing in relation to interior design and interior construction.
- Use current industry tools, mechanical, digital and manual methods to express design ideas.
- Employ both convergent and divergent thinking in the process of observation, investigation, speculative enquiry, ideation and implementation of design solutions.
- Apply relevant building codes, laws, regulations, sustainability and universality to human welfare and safety when designing interior spaces.
- Engage in quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to underpin design ideas.
- Critically reflect and evaluate personal depth of knowledge and practical experience to collaborate effectively with others.
- Model sound business practices related to project management and professional ethical conduct.
- Develop a professional portfolio and branding as a design professional.