Top 10 free online interior design room planning tools
If you’re thinking about redesigning a room and altering the layout, then it’s sometimes hard to work out whether your ideas will really work and if everything will fit in well. This is particularly so with rooms such as bathrooms or kitchens, when you’re considering totally re-arranging the existing layout.
One of the best ways of seeing whether or not your ideas are actually viable, and to get an idea of how they might look, is to put together a proposed layout of your room. If you don’t fancy drawing this all out on paper, then there are a wide variety of very useful free room planning tools online, many of which are simple and easy to use.
Some of the tools are useful for an initial play, to see how you could move key items around in a room. But if you want to get a more accurate idea of how things could work in your particular room, you will need to take measurements and input these into the room planners. Don t forget to also take into consideration where windows or doors are located and which way they open!
There are online room planning tools run by individual brands, which use examples of their own products to help you plan a room, plus generic tools that guide you as to what size bath or sink you’ll require to meet your plans.
We successfully used one of the generic room planners to re-design our bathroom, completely altering the original layout. Using our measurements, it was very useful to see the maximum size of bath and shower unit that could fit in, whilst still giving enough space in the rest of the room.
Once you’ve produced your perfect room plan, you can usually save it, download it or print it out. If you’re employing a builder or contractor to do the work, then the room plan will be useful for them to get a better idea of what you’re looking for and find products that match the required sizes.
10 free online room planning design tools
1. Room Sketcher The free floor planner and home design tool from Room Sketcher makes it easy to draw out and plan your room layouts, as well as get a more visual idea of how things could fit.
2. Floor Planner Floor Planner offers a useful tool (the basic option is free) to create new floor plans and room layouts.
3. Bathroom Accessories Guide This back-to-basics tool uses graph paper and simple measurements to show you what sizes of bathroom furniture may fit into the room you have available.
4. Sweet Home 3D Free online interior design tool that allows you to create 2D plans and see previews in 3D. It s available in a range of languages.
5. Autodesk Homestyle Useful free drag and drop room planner tool that allows you to easily create floor plans, plus add decorating ideas too.
6. Ikea Room planning tools from Ikea, including a kitchen planner.
7. Model Rooms Free online room planner tool to help you design a new interior layout.
8. B Q B Q have several free room planning tools on their website, including a bathroom planner, kitchen planner and room designer tool.
9. Homebase Homebase have a selection of useful online tools and calculators, including a free room planner.
10. Magnet Online kitchen planner tool that helps you create a 3D model of a kitchen.
(Top image credit: Shutterstock)